Keshia is a director at Andersen in South Africa in the Commercial Litigation Department specialising in high level Commercial Litigation Commercial Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and Business Restructuring and Insolvency. Keshia has with over 12 years’ experience in the legal fraternity and provides both commercial and litigation assistance for local and international clients. She enjoys immersing herself in a client’s business and understanding their industry, pressure points and goals so that she can be a true partner in their growth and success.With extensive experience in dispensing legal advice in the oil and gas industry, Keshia has also assisted clients in various other industries including mining, construction, renewable energy, insurance, logistics, software development, interior design as well as in manufacturing and trade.
Keshia was admitted as an attorney in February 2013, appointed to the position of Senior Associate in 2015 and in 2018 she joined Andersen in South Africa as a director.
- B.Com Law, University of Johannesburg (2010)
- LLB, University of Johannesburg (2010)
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 2013.
- Member of the South African Restructuring and Insolvency Practitioners Association NPC (SARIPA).
- Member of the International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL).
Keshia has acted as the lead attorney in a variety of successful cases for both local and international clients.
Keshia's most recent engagements include:
Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Representing a well-known international company in the oil and gas industry in a dispute against another major international company, also in the oil and gas industry. The case involved the breach of a supply contract and the quantum claimed amounted to approximately R436 million. Keshia was the lead attorney in this dispute and also assisted the expert in preparing the complex quantum of damages calculation.
- Following a successful outcome for part of a claim by a well-known international company in the oil and gas industry in an arbitration against another major international company in the oil and gas industry, Keshia formulated the complex damages claim for the second part of the claim and executed a settlement of approximated R11.4 million in favour of the client.
- Representing a US listed company in a dispute relating to the construction of a solar PV power plant, the sale of shares which circumvent the pre-emptive rights in a shareholders’ agreement, and a breach of the shareholders’ agreement which includes the failure by a shareholder to provide agreed funding.
- Representing a major international company in the oil and gas industry in a claim for debts amounting to R4 million and USD213 000 respectively.
- Representing a shareholder in a dispute regarding the sale of shares. There is a potential claim for damages in this dispute currently calculated at approximately R6.5 million.
Business Restructuring and Insolvency
- Representing a South African listed company in an application to place a South African subsidiary of an international holding company in business rescue. This application follows a claim by the South African listed company for R21 million following a breach of contract on the part of the South African subsidiary.
- Representing a debenture holder in a dispute regarding the transfer of shares pursuant to a loan of R486 million. The holding company involved in the dispute has been place in business rescue and we are assisting the debenture holder with, inter alia, the enforcement of its rights as a creditor in the business rescue process.
- Representing a liquidator in a High Court matter involving one of the largest banks in South Africa for the recovery of damages suffered by an insolvent company in the amount of R130 million.
- Representing and advising a high-profile director in a Section 418 enquiry into the trade, dealings, affairs and property of an insolvent company as well as in High Court proceedings for the recovery of funds in excess of R89 million.
- Representing a shareholder in a dispute with remaining shareholders involving the misappropriation of funds within a group of companies (potentially to the value of R17 million). The dispute involved opposing a liquidation application brought by the remaining shareholders to liquidate two of the companies within the group in an attempt to restrict access to information and potentially eliminate the client’s claim.
- Representing a coal mining company with its claim against a bearings and seals company for poor workmanship and the damages suffered as a result (approximately R4 million). The bearings and seals company applied for voluntary liquidation and Keshia is representing the coal mining company with a claim against the members in their personal capacity.
Events & Publications
- Written several articles on contractual and litigious topics, some of which have been published in the Without Prejudice Magazine.
- Speaker at and organising of various conferences including recent conferences for the Andersen Bridge Europe-Africa Project on Construction and Renewable Energy.