Derrick is the Co-Regional Managing Director for Africa and the Head of the Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions department at Andersen in South Africa. He has over two decades of experience in high level corporate and commercial transactional advisory work.
Formerly a Director in the Commercial department of Werksmans, he went on to establish his own boutique corporate advisory business before joining the firm.
Derrick has extensive experience in corporate legal and advisory work, specializing predominantly in mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, corporate finance, capital raising, and general corporate legal risk management.
His clients include companies listed on the NYSE, Fortune 500 companies, and blue-chip JSE listed companies. He also takes great pride in mentoring and advising start-ups and entrepreneurial driven businesses looking to navigate their way through the complex world of corporate law.
Derrick gained his expertise from advising numerous large listed corporates and multinationals in relation to a range of very high profile and sophisticated transactions (many of which have included cross border, multijurisdictional aspects) as well as the experience which he has consequently gained in his capacity as an advisor on such transactions.
Additionally, he is a practicing attorney and is registered with the South African Legal Practice Council. He is also a member of the Andersen Global Admissions Committee.
- B.Com, University of Witwatersrand (1996)
- LLB, Stellenbosch University (1998)
- Certificate in Company Law, University of the Witwatersrand (2012)
- LLM (International Economic Law), University of South Africa (2018)
- Derrick is a practising attorney and is registered with the South African Legal Practice Council
- Derrick is a member of the Andersen Global Admissions Committee
- While at Stellenbosch, Derrick was:
selected to sit on the Law Society at the University of Stellenbosch as Deputy Chairman
a member on the Law Faculty Council at the University of Stellenbosch
a member on the University of Stellenbosch Academic Affairs Committee
Derrick has advised multinationals, listed entities and other large corporates on numerous aspects including covering mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, restructuring, disposals and the like, such as:
- Legal counsel to a multinational precious metals mining company in the acquisition of a UK based analytics firm that is a noted authority on Platinum Group Metals and battery metals
- Represented a Fortune 500 global manufacturing solutions provider in relation to the sale of its battery storage and remote monitoring and analytics solutions business units in Africa
- Adviser to multinational precious metals mining company in relation to the establishment and structure of the sustainability initiative
- Advisor to a leading global provider of end-to-end supply chain solutions in its acquisition of a multinational logistics company
- Advisor to one of the largest hotel groups and timeshare operators in South Africa in the complete restructure of the properties in their hotel businesses
- Advisor to a leading transport logistics company in its R1 Billion rights offer and its R3 Billion debt restructure
- Advisor to a leading transport logistics company in respect of securitization of their debtors books and the subsequent unwinding thereof
- Listing of one of Africa's largest integrated communications companies
- Listing of an Anglo-Swiss multinational mining company
- Advisor to a primary industrial facilities management organisations on a reverse listing/merger
- Advising a global retailer on its international offering of shares for cash
- Included in The Best Lawyers in South Africa for Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2022
Events & Publications
- Spoke at East African Lawyers Association in Uganda 2018
- Spoke at the 'Practice Management for Attorneys' Conference 2015