David is Chairman at Andersen in South Africa, practicing in the field of Employment Law. He has experience in chairing disciplinary enquiries and acting on behalf of clients in a variety of forums. These include arbitrations, Labour and Labour Appeal Courts, High Court, Supreme Court of Appeal and Constitutional Court. He has also chaired disciplinary enquiries and arbitrations and has acted as a Judge in the Labour Court.
David articled with Deneys Reitz, now Norton Rose Fulbright. He was a partner in that firm until he left to start his own boutique Employment Law firm, Perrott Van Niekerk Woodhouse and Matyolo Inc. He joined the firm in November 2012.
- BA LLB, University of Natal
Acted as a Judge in the Labour Court
Recently David has been involved in a number of important matters, including:
- A Constitutional Court matter on behalf of multinational retail company relating to retrenchments
- Various applications in cases on behalf of a global natural resource company, relating to the enforcement and/or extension of collective agreements
- Successfully opposing a claim on behalf of a leading independent global diamond mining group from the National Union of Mineworkers relating to the non-payment of certain bonuses after a strike
- Successfully suing for damages on behalf of a large distributor of consumer goods in Africa, for the breach by an ex-employee of certain undertakings given in a contract of employment
Litigation and Dispute Resolution matters include:
- Advising and representing a large number of employers in the mining, banking and retail sectors
- Personally representing clients at arbitrations and in Court, advising on all aspects relating to employment law, including restraints of trade
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners in South Africa for Employment, 2018-2022
Included in The Best Lawyers in South Africa for Labor and Employment Law, 2021 & 2022